Monday, April 2, 2007

Technology in the Classroom

Since I have been in the classroom this semester I haven't found a lot of technology in the classroom. Each class has a couple of computers, an overhead projector and calculators but I have barely seen any of them used. I have only seen the computer used to give Accelerated Reader tests, for the teacher to email, and in the library when the students look up books in the catalog. In one classroom the teacher was using a fancy overhead (not sure what it was called) to teach math. It basically acted like a video camera that projected everything under the camera onto the board. It also allowed the teacher to zoom in and out on certain parts of the projection. Otherwise technology has been obsolete. I wonder why this is happening? Are teachers depending on their technology teachers to provide all the exposure to technology or is their a lack of understanding for what they can do with technology? Are the teachers not being encouraged or even required to incorporate it? I have found that with the small challenges to incorporate technology that I have been given in this class it has made me think harder and be more creative with my planning. So I understand why it would be easier to leave it out, but the reality is that these students are growing up in a "technology world" and I think they would be more interested in learning if they were able to use these tools. I discoverd that a simple way to incorporate technology is instead of printing out worksheets that have students cut out parts of something, say a plant, and put it together on construction paper...why not have them manipulate these pieces on a computer in a word document and put them in order and then print off their final piece?

No comments: